Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.Fairfax Villa News Summer Edition 6/15/2021 IN THIS ISSUE
Laptop Return Information
Yearbook Sales & Pickup
Enrollment for the 2021-2022 School Year
Summer Reading Information
FCPS Summer Digital Resources
FCPS Summer Practice Books
Summer Office Hours
Parent Help Desk Summer Hours
At the end of the school year, Fairfax Villa is collecting the laptops and power cords that were given to your child to use at home and school this school year. (If you were given a laptop bag, please plan to return that also.) Students who are returning to Fairfax Villa in the fall will be issued another laptop at that time. Students going to middle school will be issued a laptop by that school later.
- Students who are enrolled in the SOAR, Bridge to 1, and Young Scholars summer school programs at FVES may keep their FCPS laptops for those programs. They will be collected on the last day of the program.
- Students who are in school on the last day of school (Friday, June 11th) will turn in their laptops and power cords that day. A staff member will come to the classroom to get them. If you have lost the power cord and need to replace it, please send a check for $23 made out to Fairfax Villa Elementary. You may also send the exact amount in cash. We will not be able to make change for you.
- If your child is virtual or a two-day student who is not in school on Friday, June 11th, parents will need to return the laptop, power cord, and bag (if you have one) to the school by doing the following.
- Come to Fairfax Villa at these days/times.
- Tuesday, June 15th from 11:00am - 1:00pm
- Tuesday, June 15th from 4:00pm - 6:00pm.
- Look for the tent in the front of the school and pull your car up to that point.
- Bring the laptop, charger, and bag to the table.
- Please have all the equipment out of the bag. Leave the name tags on the laptop or bag.
- We will check the barcode to make sure that the laptop matches the one that was checked out to your child.
- If you have lost the power cord and need to replace it, please bring a check for $23 made out to Fairfax Villa Elementary. You may also bring the exact amount in cash. We will not be able to make change for you.
Thank you for returning your child’s laptop on time so that we are able to start getting them ready for the next school year.2.Yearbook Pickup and Sales
The yearbooks have arrived unexpectedly early! If you have already purchased a yearbook and have not received it, please stop into the office between 9:30-1:45, Monday-Friday. Please be aware that this Friday is a holiday and the office will be closed.
We have been able to reorder more yearbooks from our vendor. If you are interested in purchasing a yearbook, please send in your payment of $15.00 per yearbook. Payments can be made by either a check made out to “Fairfax Villa Elementary” or cash (exact amount) to the attention of Ms. Wells. If you have any questions please email Ms. Wells at email@example.com.Enrollment for the 2021-2022 School Year
Welcoming Future Dragons!
Is your child turning 5 years old by September 30, 2021 or is a 1st-6th grader ready to attend Fairfax Villa ES for the 2021-2022 school year?
First, see if your student falls in the Fairfax Villa ES boundary by viewing the FCPS boundary locator.
If your student does fall in the Fairfax Villa ES boundary, please click on the link below and complete the form to get on Principal Gerstner's email list. Your form will be submitted to Silvia Dossmann, our school registrar, who will be able to assist you with the registration process.
Please email any questions to Silvia Dossmann, Fairfax Villa Student Information Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.Summer Reading Information
Be sure to keep reading this summer! Below are several resources that Ms. Case shared with the students:
- Summer Reading Bingo (See Below)
- Fairfax County Public Library Summer Reading Program
- Barnes and Noble Summer Reading Program: If you want to participate in the Barnes and Noble Summer Reading program, fill out the journal below, bring it to any Barnes and Noble store from 7/1 - 8/31, and redeem for a free book. Reading Journal (English) or Reading Journal (Spanish)
- Where Can I Find Books to Read?
- Virginia Readers’ Choice Books: Primary Book List Elementary Book List Middle School List
- Book Award Winners: Caldecott Award Winners Theodor Seuss Geisel Award Winners (Books for beginning Readers)Sibert Medal Winners (Nonfiction)Notable Children’s Books
- Fairfax Villa Library Site (for eBooks and audio books)
- Fairfax Villa Summer Reading Lists (Search our website for those)
Great news! All current students will continue to have access to many of the digital resources they have utilized this school year. Students will be able to access the programs housed in Clever (ST Math, Imagine Learning, Wixie) through August 6th. After that point, class sectioning will begin at the IT level, so Clever access will be limited. Throughout the summer, students will still have access to MyOn, PebbleGo, TumbleBooks, and all of our research databases. Student usernames and passwords will remain the same over the summer, so logging in will be no different. Check out our Student Resources Site, which serves as a landing page for our digital resources!
* Please note that some applications on the Student Resources Site require a student (fcpsschools.net) login for security purposes.*6.FCPS Summer Practice Books
Summer Practice Books will be mailed home to FCPS students to provide suggested activities for students to support continued learning. Families who have opted-out of paper mailings from the division will only receive digital copies of the Summer Practice Books. Books will be mailed home to families in early June to arrive before the last day of school, June 11, 2021. Families will receive email communication in May about upcoming book arrival. Digital versions of books will be emailed to the enrolling parent SIS account in PDF format the week of June 7, 2021.
- Pre-Kindergarten students will receive one interdisciplinary Summer Practice Book.
- Students enrolled in grades K-8 in 2020-21 will receive one Language Arts Practice Book and one Math Practice Book by course enrollment. These books will also include information and guidance about digital tools that can be accessed by students and families to support learning throughout the summer.
- English Learners and Special Education students may receive additional or customized books.
More information can be accessed on the Summer Practice Books public webpage.7.Summer Office Hours
Our school office will be open this summer from 9:30am - 1:45pm Monday through Friday except on holidays.8. Parent Help Desk Summer Hours
The Parent Technology Help Desk will continue to support parents and students through the summer months.
Beginning on Monday, June 14, we are moving the service to our in-house Service Desk. The phone number for parents will stay the same - 833-921-3277 (833-921-FCPS) - and the reduced hours for summer are 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday in June, July and early August. Outside of those hours, parents can also visit the Parent and Student IT Support Portal to find self-help resources or submit a tech support request ticket.9.PTA News
The following message is sent on behalf of the Fairfax Villa ES School PTA. Its content reflects the PTA.
The PTA is offering school supply kits again for next year! You will get exactly what your teacher requests and avoid the stress of back-to-school shopping, all while earning a small amount of money for the PTA! Get yours by ordering here by July 15. (ID class kits are NOT sold out - they will be coming soon!)